Fareham - a Fairtrade Borough!
Fareham has been a Fairtrade Borough for TEN YEARS!
Please read our press release celebrating this milestone.
Fairtrade Fortnight 2017 runs from 27th February to 13th March.
We had a stall in Fareham Shopping Centre on Saturday 25th February, from 10am to 3pm. Please read our press release about the event, view photos taken at the stall and see the Hampshire Fairtrade Network diary of events for details of other events in the area.
We are the local steering group for Fairtrade in the Borough of Fareham, Hampshire - one of over 400 groups registered with the Fairtrade Foundation under the Fairtrade Towns initiative. Our objective is to promote Fairtrade in Fareham, to encourage more people to buy Fairtrade goods, and more retailers and catering establishments to sell them. Fareham has been a Fairtrade Borough, fulfilling the five criteria to be recognised as a Fairtrade Town, since 2007.
Please use the links on the left to explore our website. If you were hoping to find something here that isn't present, please .
Fairtrade goods are those which carry the Fairtrade Mark (left), which is an independent and internationally-recognised guarantee that:
- the producer of the goods receives a fair price that covers the costs of sustainable production;
- a premium is paid that can be invested in development;
- the goods are supplied under contracts that allow for long-term planning and sustainable production practices;
- workers are treated decently and paid a living wage;
- basic health and safety and environmental standards are met;
- no forced or child labour is used.
Buying Fairtrade goods is an easy and effective way for UK consumers to make a real, positive difference in the lives of people in the developing world. A wide and increasing range of Fairtrade goods is available in a growing number of retail outlets, and their quality and price compares very favourably with non-Fairtrade equivalents. Fairtrade is an essential tool for enabling poor communities to trade their way out of poverty.